Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A Tragic Romance


1867 Michigan, two years after the War Between the States. . .

Campus Martius Park

A Tragic Romance

"I stood in the center of Campus Martius Park surrounded by echoes. The cold November air penetrated through my mourning dress. I had been here two years prior and had listened as Captain George Armstrong Cluster presented an eulogy of our beloved President Lincoln.
It were the words of the President which now rang repeatedly through my mind, haunting echoes from the past. "Thank God for Michigan", he had said. Michigan. The 24th Michigan Infantry Regiment, my regiment.
I do believe my heart was bitter that day as I stood in the park. My soul was crying. For although four years had past, the grief had not. My soldier was among that fatal 82% of the Michigan 24th. I still dressed in mourning, the latest fashions, naturally. I was proud of my country, my sacrifice was great. In honor, I dressed to the latest fashions and wore the metal of honor -- his metal. My soldier's honor."

* * * * * *

1867 Circa Mourning Dress
Initially, I designed this dress from head knowledge of the era. However, I recently found this picture of an authentic post -civial war mourning dress displayed in a museum. This dress is 1867 circa and remarkably like our design.

We call the following outfit: A Tragic Romance.

As you can see from the pictures, the main difference between the original and the copy is the neckline. The neckline is in keeping with the era, although this style of neckline tends more towards evening wear.

The dress has a double layer of lace ruffles on the skirt, and is adorned with a choker necklace cameo. A gilded fan and embroidered purse complete the outfit.

A Tragic Romance will be worn by Colleen this Victorian Festival. An authentic replica of the civil war metal will accompany the outfit. Outdoor photo credits to Willow.

2 comments: